rejection

I just realized today that, like most people on this planet, I don’t know how to deal with rejection. Yesterday, my boss asked me to layout a cover page for one of the projects we are currently working on. So I honed my skills in layouting and graphic arts, and came up with something I haven’t done in my layouts before.

It looks cool (I think). And not just that: I have reduced the intensity of the color of a large part of the page to save on ink (without reducing the overall appeal of the layout). I also found a way of printing that saves ink further. It takes almost twice the normal printing time though.

I showed him the layout this morning. He commented rather negatively on the new style I was using. He had me print the cover page so he can see it better. He said the faded effect of half the page is not doing well. He wanted a brighter hue (I’ve always noticed his preference to true-color pictures in layouts). At this point I got a little confused. The reason why I had it “custom faded” (I borrowed this term from Bobby Bolivia, the used-car dealer played by Bernie Mac in Transformers; wait, it was Sam Witwicky who used the term first, but it was Bobby Bolivia who said quite assertively), aside from the fact that it looks cool, is that the style uses less ink. Our company is an engineering consultancy firm that promotes environmentally friendly and cost effective ways of dealing with stuffs. Do you now see the irony and the dilemma? Hehehe…

Don’t get me wrong guys. I love my job. And having the hard-core Christians for bosses is a one-in-a-million chance. They give me advices, not only in the field of hydrology and water engineering (which I have come to love), but also in life…

Going back to the point – rejection strikes me quite hard every time. This morning I stayed quiet after hearing the negative comments. However, I was able to get myself together and made an improved layout for the cover. This time, it has brighter colors. But I was still able to put some ink-saving styles into the layout.

2 comments:

barefaced nes said...

rejection? tss.. i'm super used to it. :) (baaah! bow.)

Kat said...

i kinda know how this feels. and sometimes even if they say it's constructive, it still hurts.