Measuring Progress

How does one measure progress? Or can anyone actually do it?

For the last year or so, I have been answering crossword puzzles of local newspapers, specifically sunstar and cebu daily news. The latter's is relatively easier than the former's. Quite seldom can I complete these puzzles but most of the times, I can answer at least 85% of it.

While I was answering one (local paper's) last weekend, one of my friends commented that puzzles of the kind I am answering are quite doable, unlike those of national newpapers (philippine star, the inquirer). I told him I share the same sympathy as I have tried to answer some of these puzzles a number of times before - during my high school and college years. And all I could do is give answers to 1 or 2 of the clues.

Later that day, I found a page of a national paper lying on the floor (I couldn't remember what paper it was). It had been used to wrap flowers bought from the city's (dirty) wet market (carbon). I cut the puzzle off the rest of the page. I did not have a pen or pencil so I placed it in my pocket and planned to answer it when I get home.

Much to my surprise, I answered more than 85% of it.

Does this qualify as a measure for progress?