connect the dots .____.

Today (actually, yesterday) in my mechanics of deformable bodies (strength of materials) class, the topic was shear and moment diagrams. A fair amount of drawing was involved and something that I have been aware of since I started teaching hit me like it never did before. Indeed it is far more difficult to draw freehand a vertical line on a whiteboard than it is to draw a horizontal line; but I never thought I'd draw a reflection out of this observation.

I would take horizontal lines as our connections to our fellowmen. For mere humans like all of us, it generally (and relatively) is easy to establish and maintain these horizontal lines on our own. Vertical lines are our connections to God. Sins have severed these ties. These sins have made it practically impossible for us to draw perfect vertical lines on our own.

The solution is simple. We just let Jesus be our "RULER" - the Ruler of our lives, and our connections to God will be as straight as it should be.

No comments: